Tuesday, April 8, 2008
JUDD FOUNDATION: MARFA, TEXAS
From it's website:
Located in West Texas approximately 200 miles southeast of El Paso, Marfa is situated near the Chinati mountain range of Presidio County, the second-largest county in Texas.
Judd Foundation holds and maintains artist Donald Judd’s private living and working spaces in Marfa, Texas. Comprised of a total of 15 spaces, these include studios installed with artwork—by Judd and others—living quarters, ranch and architecture offices, and libraries.
101 North Highland Avenue
Purchased by Judd in November 1989, this prominent building in downtown Marfa was formerly a bank, which Judd renovated to create an architect’s studio. The building contains early paintings and drawings by Judd that have been installed throughout two stories and more than 15 rooms. An extensive collection of modernist furniture and paintings by prominent 20th- century artists and designers are also featured in the building.
Cobb House & the Whyte Building
104 West Oak Street
The Cobb House and Whyte Building and their gatehouse were renovated by Judd in the early 1990s. The Cobb House is installed with early Judd paintings dating from 1956 to 1958 along with Judd’s collection of early 20th century Swedish furniture. The Whyte Building holds four important paintings from 1960 to 1962 and furniture pieces by Rudolf M. Schindler, which were commissioned by Judd in 1991 specifically for this space.
102 North Highland Avenue
Across the street from the Bank Building is the Architecture Office, which was purchased by Judd in January 1990. The street level of this two-story structure was renovated for use as an architecture office. The building contains furniture and objects designed by Judd, as well as plans and models of his architectural projects, including the Basel Bahnhof and his former Swiss residence, Eichholteren
La Mansana de Chinati/The Block
400 and 416 West El Paso Avenue
As Judd’s residence and studio in Marfa, The Block is the site of some of his first large architectural projects and installations. It measures one full city block. Donald Judd first used The Block in 1973 when he rented one of the two former army buildings and began installing the property with his art. In 1974, he bought the entirety of The Block, which also includes a rectangular two-story home, formerly offices of the U.S. Army’s Quartermaster Corps. The property is enclosed with adobe walls, which use local construction techniques, as is the interior courtyard, which is landscaped with cactus gardens and Judd furniture. Also on the property are a Judd-designed swimming pool and private garden; two large, permanently installed spaces that house the artist’s studio; and a personal library comprising more than 10,000 volumes.
The Print Building
104 and 108 South Highland Avenue
Donald Judd purchased this large, two-story building, formerly a hotel during the 1930s and ‘40s, with the intention of creating a print museum. He intended to install the complete collection of his prints, spanning the years from 1951 to 1994 in the thirty rooms on the top floor. The façade of the structure has recently been restored.
124 West Oak Street
In March of 1990, Judd purchased this former Safeway grocery store and converted the facility into an informal studio. The open area contains long worktables and shelving, which display Judd-designed prototypes and samples for fabrication. These materials and installation make it possible to trace the artist’s concept development and work process.